October is Fire Prevention Month
By Office Supplies Ireland, September 24th 2020
October is Fire Prevention Month and as we approach October, here is some information about it. According to the National Fire Protection Association, seven people die in the US every day from home fires on average. Fire Prevention Month helps educate families about the dangers of fires, how easy it can be for fires to start, and how much easier it can be to prevent them..
Fire Prevention Month started in the USA and memorializes the Great Chicago Fire, a fire that desolated the city of Chicago and left over 100,000 people homeless in October 1871
Useful tips to avoid a fire
- Put a smoke alarm in every room and test it regularly.
- Buy a fire door retainer.
- Hang non-smoking signs in the areas, where smoking is prohibited.
- Keep your stove and oven clean.
- Always check your dryer.
- Don’t leave the kitchen while cooking.
- Inspect all your heating sources.
- Properly store flammable products.
- Practice caution with candles.
- Be careful with your fireplace.
- Maintain electrical flexes and cords.
- Put a fire alarm sign near the alarm.